FYI: Sago Palm Toxicity

Sago Palm Toxicity with Pets

Dr. Daisy here to pass along some information that would be good great for you to know. Our friends at the Animal Emergency Hospital of The Strand have put out some information regarding Sago Palm toxicity. As you know you can’t throw a rock on The Grand Strand and not hit a Sago Palm. Check out what they had to say below for your and your pet’s benefit.

Greetings and Happy Summer To All!

SAGO PALM TOXICITY: Something preventable, that we treat far too often!

ALL parts of this plant are toxic, including the leaves, trunk, roots, and seeds. The primary toxic agent of the Sago Palm is called Cycasin. Dogs, cats, horses, sheep, cattle, and children are most at risk.

Treatment includes bloodwork, inducing emesis, activated charcoal, liver protectants, IV fluids, Vitamin K (if clotting disorders), GI protectants, and Acetylcysteine.

Follow up by monitoring liver enzymes every 1-2 weeks until normal. Monitor for signs of liver failure, renal failure and abnormal bleeding.

Prognosis for initial, near term recovery is good if there are no increase in liver enzymes by 48-72 hours.

Long term survival is poor, about 50%. Due to the ingestion of Methylazoxymethanol, death may occur in recovered animals 8-12 weeks post exposure.

As you know, this outdoor plant is very popular in our area.

 

Remember you can contact us here at The Pet Doctor (843-650-1555) if you suspect Sago Palm toxicity, but remember it’s a race against time, so get into the office asap. If not you can read the Animal Emergency Hospital by calling their numbers listed below.

Tom Hesselbacher   Practice Manager   843-655-0598     thh7765@gmail.com

Jenni Hatfield   Hospital Administrator   843-445-9797   animaler98@gmail.com

By | 2017-11-10T16:06:25+00:00 July 14th, 2016|
%d bloggers like this: